Makaton is a language programme. It is used by the teachers of Red Gates School to communicate with non verbal children. The children use signs and symbols to communicate with the children.
Makaton can be used to
- share thoughts, choices and emotions
- label real objects, pictures, photos and places
- take part in games and songs
- listen to, read and tell stories
- create recipes, menus and shopping lists
- write letters and messages
- help people find their way around public buildings
Makaton is used frequently at Red Gates with the teachers constantly signing, not all the children can respond but signing still help them become aware.